Doesn’t everyone end up with a list of what they hope to do in the New Year to come? I have never waited this long to come up with some but I felt these were very important… I REALLY liked this list that I have copied here; not that it is meant for being resolutions for just a year but for the life of a Christian:
1. Never neglect daily private prayer; and when you pray, remember that God is present and hears your prayers. Heb. 11:5.
2. Never neglect daily private Bible reading. All backsliding begins with the neglect of these two rules. John 5:39.
3. Never let a day pass without trying to do something for Jesus. Luke 5:13-15.
4. If you are in doubt as to a thing being right or wrong, go to your room and kneel down and ask God’s blessing upon it. Col. 3:17. If you cannot do this, it is wrong. Rom. 11:23.
5. Never take your Christianity from Christians. 2 Cor. 10:12. Ask yourself, “How would Christ act in my place?” and strive to follow him. John 10:27.
“Five Short Rules for Christians” by E. J. Waggoner written in 1889
Now to add to that list…
6. Memorize Scripture. Joshua 1:8. 2 Tim. 3:16. Deut. 11:18.
7. My life goal for 2014 is the same as my church motto… “To know Christ, and make Him known.”
8. Want to share the Good News more… which in my case means preaching more this year. Plus sharing Christ with anyone who comes into my life who is willing to hear… (divine appointments).
9. Get healthier by making better choices, working out when I can, and eating better.
10. I give myself permission that if I fail on one or more of these at some point this year to give myself FORGIVENESS and pick back up and continue onward…
I am actually happy with my list. I feel if I stick to it for even most of the year I will end up 2014 having a closer relationship with Jesus. I will have 365 days worth of doing little good things for others…(what a fun challenge). I hope to know more about the bible and memorize some new verses. I hope to be healthier at the end of this year spiritually and physically.
What are your New Years Resolutions? Anything different this year then in past years? I know that some of mine ended up being different then in previous years. Some more open ended which makes them easier to comply with and more able for me to complete them. Now I need to find my partner in encouragement, you might say to check up on me 2 or more times a week so we can encourage each other through out this year… any takers?
Your Sis in Christ ~ Carolyn